Saturday, October 8, 2011

Big Country Update

I have a few really cool things to share with y'all. 

Oct 6th

First I tossed the home fries in the oven, heavily seasoned with sea salt and cracked pepper. Steak fries would have been more traditional, but I just love 'em in morsels.

Tenderloin time! Once the seitan has been made, these come together quick. I pulled out my largest pieces and coated them with a mixture of flour, greek seasoning, cayenne, salt, pepper and chili powder. Let the frying begin!




For those of you familiar with western Missouri tenderloin sandwiches, you know they have to be huge; way bigger than the bun. I could not get those kind of slices out of my seitan. What to do? Cut the center out of the buns to make them smaller, duh. 

I present to you, seitan sliders!

cute n' tasty
Put some horseradish on and they're ready for chompin'. The most critical member of the table, my carnivore brother, thought they were pretty darn good, but similar to the buffalo wings we made. We brainstormed some ideas to make them more porky.

Oct 7th 

The next morning I went to Gentry County to help get my grandparents stuff ready for auction. Some people say "It's hard being a vegan in [insert city]." Those people have never been to NW Missouri. I lived up there for a year, where the closest people get to veganism is "Did you say vegan? I heard about that on the food network!"

Several years ago my dad asked "so what can I make for you now?" My answer: "Just plants." Ever since then, it's been no problem. For lunch he made a lettuce salad with 'maters, radishes, cucumber, green onions and carrots. 

thanks pops!
 After a full day of moving old fridges and stoves around, he asked me what we should eat. I decided chili. One pot simplicity and the ingredients are at the grocery store. I grabbed an onion, green bell pepper and a can of: kidney beans, pinto beans, diced tomatoes (two cans), kernel corn and green chilies. Diced up the veggies, drained the beans, tossed in the cans and added plenty of chili powder, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Before I scooped it in my bowl, I put tortilla chips in the bottom. This turned out tastier than I imagined it being. 

 
After coming home from a concert with Most Awesome Girlfriend and seeing that she had some leftovers to snack on, I decided to whip something up too.

Remember those mini tenderloin buns? I'm not one to be wasteful with food...

Chili in a bun!

Thanks for reading! I have more food excitement planned for today, with an update in a day or two.

3 comments: