Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Seitan luvvers Part 1

It all began last night. It's so much better to whip some pre-made out the next day rather than add over an hour of prep time to any dish you want to use it in. For the broth I usually use veggie bullion cubes, soy sauce, garlic powder, herbs, spices, onion slices...

Just like my party days when I got overwhelming munchie attacks at 2am, I made some stove-top popcorn while I waited. Then while I waited for the popcorn, I sliced up some tofu and plopped on some vegenaise stirred w/ curry and pepper. YUM. Sometimes I used to go up to five layers deep with it. It's all in the timing.

Some of the seitan will be used in The Amazing Western Missouri Vegan Tenderloin Collaboration Sandwich that I will make with my brother soon. Tonight, I invited a test subject over and just improvised. Here's what I came up with:

Jasmine rice in the rice cooker (if you don't have a rice cooker, get one and change your life).

then sauté:
1/4c onion, softball sized, chopped
5 BIG cloves of garlic
1/2 red and 1/2 a yellow bell pepper

Then I cut the seitan into strips and battered it with a mixture of flour, salt, pepper, cayenne, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder... go wild with it and FRY IT UP.

Put it in a bowl, topped it with fresh parsley, romaine and alfalfa sprouts.

The rice and the zingy seitan kept it heavy while the fresh greenery lightened the whole thing up nicely. Success! Variations of this will happen in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment